London terror attack leaves 4 dead, 40 injured; 7 arrested


Web Report

Dubai: The UK Metropolitan Police have arrested seven people following the Westminster attack that left four dead, and 40 injured, according to media reports.

It is reported that acting Deputy Commissioner and Head of Counter Terrorism Mark Rowley said that hundreds of detectives have worked through the night, carrying out searches at six addresses.

Those who died were a woman in her 40s, a man in his 50s, PC Keith Palmer and the attacker, he said.

Seven of the injured are still in hospital in a critical condition. A further 29 had been treated in hospital, Rowley added.

The attack unfolded on Wednesday across Westminster Bridge in the shadow of Big Ben, a towering landmark that draws tourists by the millions and stands over Britain’s Houses of Parliament — the very image of London.

On Wednesday UK Parliament was on lockdown following the two incidents in Westminster, central London.

It is reported that a police officer on Wednesday was stabbed near Britain’s Parliament, while a car mowed down at least five people on a nearby bridge.

David Lidington, the leader of the House of Commons, told members of Parliament a police officer was stabbed and the alleged assailant was shot by armed police, the Press Association News agency reported.

Numerous witnesses reported hearing gunfire near Portcullis House, an office building housing lawmakers and members of their staff.

The Metropolitan Police in London confirmed that officers had been summoned at about 2:40 pm to Westminster Bridge, which crosses the River Thames next to Parliament, over reports of “a firearms incident.” The BBC broadcast images showing people, appearing to be wounded, receiving care while lying on the bridge.

Inside the House of Commons, astonished lawmakers were told that they should not leave the chamber.

“At the moment, the very clear advice from the police and the director of security in the house is that we should remain under suspension, and that the chamber should remain in lockdown until we’ve received advice that it is safe to go back to normal procedures,” David Lidington, the leader of the House of Commons, told lawmakers in remarks broadcast live on the BBC.